Save your skin and soothe your spirit with these summer skincare picks.
Oh gourd, another summer of sweaty britches, patchy itches and precipitous breakouts. Gear up girlfriends! It’s going to be a long, hot summer and your best defense is an arsenal of soothing salves. From scalp to tootsies, we’ve rounded up everything you’ll need to take care of your skin (and don’t forget tons of water!).
Here are a few of our favorite summer skin soothers.
Watch the segment on ABC-15’s Sonoran Living!
1. Facial Mists
The soothesayers of the summer, facial mists are calming, hydrating sprays that tone and soothe skin. Give these a spritz:
- Rose-scented hydration on the go: Wilma Schumann Hydrating Facial Mist, $24 WilmaSchumann.com
- Even skin tone: Jurlique Purely Bright Mist $39 at Jurlique.com
- Instant brightening with a citrusy finish: Amarte Aqua Mist Toner, $67 AmarteSkinCare.com
Tip: For an easy DIY home facial mist, mix 1 cup distilled water with 1 teaspoon witch hazel and 5 drops lavender essential oil. Store in fridge for a spritz of soothing refreshment.
2. Power Tool
Question: What’s the one thing you need to get skin super clean and free from sweat, grime and clogged pores? Answer: The Clarisonic. Question: Why? Answer: Glad you asked! The limited-edition Clarisonic Mia Electric Skin Cleaning Brush Collection includes the compact Mia, universal magnetic charger, sensitive brush head and trial cleanser in fun, electric shades for a sweet price of $99. Unlike spinning devices, the patented sonic frequency is clinically proven to cleanse skin six times better than hands alone. The oscillation movement gently extracts impurities from the skin while the brush sweeps them away. Get it at Clarisonic.com, Sephora, Nordstrom and select spas and more.
3. Body Armor
Body butters are out, lightweight body lotions and gels are in. Start with an exfoliation to shed dead weight and then keep skin dewy yet dry. Here’s what you need to:
- Banish dead skin: BioElixia BodyShaper Exfoliating Body Polish, $29.50 at BioElixia.com
- Lightly sweeten with Dead Sea minerals: AHAVA Mineral Botanic Tropical Pineapple & White Peach Velvet Body Lotion, $28 at AHAVAUS.com
- Stay fresh all day without added oils: H2O Plus Oasis Body 24 Hydrator, $25 at H2O Plus stores and H2OPlus.com, Ulta.com and Ulta stores nationwide
- Fight dry feet: Dr Teal’s Shea-Enriched Foot Cream, $4 at drugstores (find locations at DrTeals.com)
Tip: A miracle balm you can find right in your kitchen: Virgin coconut oil. Rub on rough patches, heels, elbows for a lightweight way to feed parched skin.
4. Extreme Extremity Protection
You’ve got your faced protected from the sun’s damaging rays but what about the rest of you? We’ve got that covered too!
- Lips: June Jacobs Lip Renewal SPF 50, $24 at select spas and JuneJacobs.com
- Eyes: SkinCeuticals Physical Eye UV Defense SPF 50 $30 at SkinCeuticals.com and select spas and dermatologist offices
- Neck: Erno Laszlo Luminous Intensive Décolleté Treatment SPF 20, $95 at Nordstrom and ErnoLaszlo.com
- Hands: AHAVA Age Perfecting Hand Cream Broad Spectrum SPF 15, $32 at AHAVAUS.com
- On the go (for anywhere you need it, from your scalp to the those toes peeking out of your shoes): Jane Iredale Powder-Me SPF Dry Sunscreen SPF 30 in Translucent, $45.50 at JaneIredale.com