While you’re waiting for those gym results to kick in, prep yourself with an instant confidence-booster by switching up your beauty routine. It’s easy to get into the habit of using the same products and wearing the same makeup hues day in and day out, but that doesn’t mean no other combination will do.
Makeup isn’t just a frivolous investment either. A study by Plos One showed that a woman’s makeup choices influence perceptions of her likability and competence (read the study). But, more than anything, makeup is about having fun. Right, ladies? Let’s upgrade!
Three B’s Do Make a Right
It’s time to move on from the casual scan-and-toss makeup choosing method that you do in between shopping for groceries. Grab your reusable shopping bag and head to your local Ulta or Sephora, where you can get a full makeover and makeup advice from a trained specialist. Three solid brands to consider while you’re at it:
- bareMinerals: This powder line is one of the few that’s actually worth the hype. The powder is light, toxin-free, and can create smooth skin and an even tone in just a few brushes. More at bareescentuals.com.
- Bumble and bumble: One of the most popular new lines of hair care products comes from Bumble and Bumble, which uses natural ingredients to eliminate frizz, maximize shine, and increase volume. More at bumbleandbumble.com.
- Benefit: You can shop for all kinds of makeup from the Benefit brand, but the company’s must-try is their line of “They’re real!” mascara. Try Bad Girl Lash for an edgier eyelash look, and don’t forget to liven up your brows with volumizing gels and shaping kits. More at benefitcosmetics.com.
All the Pretty Colors
While the style gurus proclaim the seasonal “must-have” colors, your unique skin tone, eye color and facial features are also part of the equation of what works for you. Colors to consider adding to your makeup palette:
- Electric Orange: The red lip is out and the orange lip is in. At least, that’s the word from runway makeup artist Gucci Westman, who used neon orange lips to add a pop of color to muted clothing. You’ll want to break out blue-hued contact lenses for this trend, since orange is the ultimate color complement for this icy eye color. Head over to Vision Direct and upgrade your contact lenses (check out the Allure lenses in Ocean Blue, fab!).
- Pastel Pink: A punch of pink brightens up every skin tone. For a soft, feminine look, try a small brush of light pink eye shadow. Don’t have pink eye shadow? Use your blush with a touch of shimmer. All you need is a little mascara to complete this fun, flirty style.
- Navy Blue: Makeup experts are drifting away from basic black, and branching out to more exciting and unexpected dark hues. Navy blue eyeliner is a big trend this season, endorsed by renowned makeup artist Tom Pecheux. Try cat eyes for an extra feisty finale.
- Light Mint: Natural nail tones are becoming increasingly popular this season, starting with the fashion favorite of mint green. Essie’s Mint Candy Apple is one of the most shared shades on Twitter, and it’s the perfect hue for adding a subtle splash of color.