What’s the word on nail polish trends for fall 2010? Pick any word and you’ve likely hit the nail on the head! This season, nail trends transcend the deep reds of seasons past and veer toward a mix of glam, chic, urban and eclectic. In other words, anything goes! Fall hues are dark, sexy, even slightly dangerous. And in the salon, the trend is practical, long-wearing yet natural looks.
1. Shellac Attack. Move over acrylics and gels, Shellac nails are giving the queens of long-lasting pointers a run for their money. Dubbed a “hybrid” between traditional nail lacquer and gel nails, Shellac was developed by Creative Nail Design as a long-wearing option that wreaks less havoc on your natural nails. This smudge-free, chip-free and quick drying nail color applies like polish, wears for two weeks of high gloss shine and is easily removed. Find a Shellac salon near you at cnd.com. More on Shellac.
2. Rock Star Edgy. Last year, vampires had their moment in the spotlight and deep, dark vampy colors were king. This year, rock stars rule. Sephora by OPI Rocker Chic Collection includes nine heavy metal twists on fall shades. For a transitional summer to fall shade, try the silvery bronze Already Famous. Just A Little Dangerous epitomizes fall style with its rich, eggplant purple shade spiked with flecks of metal. Available at Sephora for $9 each.
3. Futurama. Not only are metallics back but we’re talking metals with some umph! Part of her Starchild Odyssey fall makeup collection, Tarina Tarantino Supernova Nail Lacquers come in three vibrant metallic shades – Empire (peacock), Starchild (silver), and Meteor Night (dark blue). The richly pigmented colors require just one to two coats for a brilliantly modern mani or pedi. Available at Sephora for $12 each.
4. Meet the Browns. Wimpy taupe and tans are so yesterday. This season, look for rich chocolatey browns that aren’t shy about their autumn hues. Barielle’s new Argyle Polish Collection fits the style with six new cozy colors. Cashmere or Loose Me is a silky brown with copper pearl, Wool You Marry Me is a plum brown crème and Cowl of the Wild is a mushroom taupe crème. For a walk on the wilder side, Aura Angora is a royal gold crème. Available at select Ulta stores and barielle.com for $8 each.
5. Shades of Gray. While fall hues hit high notes with deep purples and blues, the low, softer notes never go out of style. Essie has imbibed her fall collection with grays that kiss up to the season’s runway looks. Sew Psyched is a soft sage hue with a pewter vibe while Merino Cool is a shady gray twist on the traditional fall berry colors. Available at select Ulta stores and essie.com.