Does the Trophy Skin MicrodermMD have the same power as an in-clinic microderm treatment? Here’s my review.
Somebody pinch me. My skin has never looked so good (knocking on wood). Through some miraculous combination of the right skincare products and a new secret weapon, my temperamental skin is finally minding its manners. And I don’t say that lightly. I battled acne for the better part of my 30s and with a wallop of sun damage I self inflicted in my 20s, I’m facing down the age spots now.
What’s this so-called secret weapon? I’ll tell you but don’t tell my aesthetician. It’s the MicrodermMD professional-grade home microderm system from Trophy Skin. Like any ethical blogger, I will also tell you that I was given the product free to test out but just so you know, I don’t write reviews on products I don’t like. I like—no, love—the MicrodermMD. Here’s why.
First, this thing is pretty nifty. Electronic devices in general are intimidating to me at first but it didn’t take me long to get the process down … and get addicted.
What You Get
Encased in a sleek, easy-to-store design with a mirrored lid, the MicrodermMD system comes with the following:
- Professional-grade diamond tipped exfoliating wand
- Pore extraction tip for blackhead extraction
- 100 pack of black wool filters
- Diamond tip cleaning brush for diamond tip
- International power adaptor
- 1-year Manufacturer’s Warrant
- User manual
How it Works
From beginning to end, the process takes about 10 minutes tops:
- Get ready: First, cleanse your skin. Dry it off and let it air dry as you set up. Don’t apply moisturizer so that your skin is somewhat taut.
- Get set: Plug in the device and press the Power and Start buttons. Remove the cap from the diamond-tip suction tip and you’re ready to go. For first-timers, press the Auto mode button too so you can follow the movements shown on the LCD screen.
- Go: Starting along the cheeks, hold the device like a pencil and draw it across the skin in short, smooth strokes. Either follow the Auto screen or follow the pattern in the image below (available on the How to Use tab of the website). Resist the urge to overdo it. I like to run it along and under my jawbone as well as my neck.
When you’re finished, splash your skin with cool water or apply witch hazel or toner with a cotton ball to get rid of any flakes. This is the time to follow up with your most potent serum and definitely a sunscreen during the day. Trophy Skin recommends their Argan Oil Stem Cell Serum, which has an ultra-high concentration of anti-inflammatory and anti-aging ingredients.
Finally, be sure to change the filter and clean the tip after each use. Dry skin and gunk are captured in the filter so be prepared to be grossed out the first time you change it. (See below. Ew, right?)
Depending on your skin type, you might be slightly flush afterward. My skin stays a bit pink for a few minutes than takes on a glow after about an hour. It’s super smooth too so I like to use the device the day before an event so I my skin looks glowy and fresh.
So is it worth the $299 price tag? Microdermabrasion treatments in my area cost $100 and up and while I still love my regular facials, the MicrodermMD has helped me to improve the quality of my skin without shelling out bookoo bucks. I will say this too: I did not expect that this device would be as effective as standard micrderm treatments you would get at a med spa or skincare center. It is. In fact, my aesthetician even commented on the great condition of my skin the last time I visited (she wasn’t happy with the state of my wily brows but that’s another issue).
The Trophy Skin MicrodermMD retails for $299 and is available on amazon.com.