Don’t let the TSA’s travel restrictions cramp your beauty style! Skate through airplane security and travel smart with these tips, tricks and product picks – including a few from our friends at ABC15!
Remember the 3-1-1
To help us remember carry-on restrictions, the TSA (Transportation Security Administration) has come up with the 3-1-1 rule: 3-oz containers, packed in 1 quart-sized clear bag, 1 bag per passenger. This includes all liquids, gels and aerosols (and yes, toothpaste!).
For a bevy beauty brands in travel-friendly sizes, check out 3FLOZ.com. Created by two friends, the site offers familiar prestige, clinical and natural beauty brands all in carry-on sizes.
Get: Spa on the road with 3FLOZ.com’s In-Hotel Spa Kit (pictured), which includes Ole Henriksen Mico/Mini Starter Kit, Philip B Katira Hair Masque, Dr. Hauschka Eye Mask, Deep Steep Rosemary Mini Travel Set with four body products for $104.
Tip: Daybreak co-anchor Nicole Beyer stays sane on the plane by taking her beauty items as carry-ons. “I make sure to get everything travel size … including hair spray!” For products you absolutely can’t live without, she suggests transferring them into plastic travel bottles. “This way, you never have to worry about the airline losing your bag,” she says.
Don’t Forgo Your Faves
Traveling can be stressful, which can wreaks havoc on your face and skin. Go ahead, take along your favorite beauty products!
Spa Girl must-haves:
- Olay Total Effects Moisturizer Plus Cooling Hydration (1.7 oz), $22.99 at most drugstores. A light-weight, oil-free, multi-action facial moisturizer with antioxidants to protect against pollutants.
- Covergirl Lash Blast Waterproof Mascara (.44 oz), $8 at most drugstores. Go ahead and get caught in that summer with this volume-building mascara.
- Pantene Pro-V Anti-Humidity Hairspray, $3-$4 at most drugstores. This one is worth transferring into a travel bottle or stash the whole bottle in your checked-in bag. Locks out humidity and keeps hair from frizzing out for traveling anywhere outside of the southwest!
- Pssssst Instant Dry Shampoo (1.7 oz), $2.99 at select drugstores and freemanbeauty.com. An instant hair pick-me-up after a day of traveling.
- La Roche-Posay Thermal Spring Water (1.8 oz), $8 at dermstore.com. A mineral-rich blast of hydration for O2-parched skin. Also great for setting mineral powder foundation.
- California Baby SPF30+ Sunblock Stick (.5 oz), $14.99 at californiababy.com. Whether you’ve got kids in tow or not, this fragrance-free stick keeps you protected on the go. Doubles as a lip balm and moisture stick in a pinch!
- Smart Girls Who Surf Grab-N-Go Kit, $24 at smartgirlswhosurf.com. A must for beach getaways, this sun-smart kit includes a comb and travel-friendly sizes of Natural SPF 30+ Sunblock, After Sun Soothing Lotion, Care for Hair Sun Protector, two natural glycerin soap, Nnatural SPF 15 Lip Balm.
- Noah’s Naturals Anti-Aging Travel Kit, $9.50 at select Walmart and Ulta stores. This 3-step, zip-top kit includes a Gentle Cream Cleanser (1 oz) Face Moisturizer (1 oz) and Firming Gel Serum (.31 oz) for healthy skin on the go.
Tips: Evening news anchor Katie Raml’s secret stash is rosewater spritz for “post flight, facial dehydration,” travel hot rollers and an i-Pod speaker doc. “You cannot get ready without great music!” Sonoran Living producer Denise Naughton totes along perfume samplers on her trips to try them out without lugging an entire bottle. “I also keep one in my purse for a quick and refreshing spritz as I’m heading out to happy hour after work,” she says.
Stash in Style
Ziplock bags are truly unexciting when you’re off on a much-anticipated vacay.
Take it up a notch with:
- Trina Cosmetic Clutch, $35 at select Nordstrom stores. Stash away your carry-on beauty items in this classy clutch after you’ve made it through the security line.
- Beach n Bag Clear Totes, $49-$69 at beachnbag.com. The smaller totes make the perfect carry-on with plenty of space and interior pockets; plus the frosted clear PVC keeps you from having to dig for days to find your stuff. The larger “LTD” bag, featured in In Style magazine is the ultimate beach bag for road trips or staycations.
Tip: Sonoran Living co-host Andi Barness never leaves town minus her cute black hat, especially when she’s headed to humid climates. “Oh yeah, I also bring sock slippers so I don’t have to walk on the carpet in my room. That grosses me out!”
Spa Girls Fan Picks
AZ Spa Girls Facebook fans and Twitter followers are the best! We hit them up for their favorite travel must-haves and here are just a few we loved too: Avon flavored lip balm, Bumble and bumble Grooming Crème, Olay Daily Facials Cleansing Clothes to remove makeup and refresh skin, Charles Worthington London Smart Fixx Quick Flick Wax Stick to control flyaway hair, Philosophy Color of Grace Coloring Book cosmetics compact and Mallygirl Lightwand Eye Brightener Powder Pencil to freshen up after traveling.
Tell us yours!