Earth Day may have come and gone, but being green is something we spa lovers practice year-round. The theme of 2011’s Earth Day was “A billion acts of Green” a movement globally coordinated by the Earth Day Network, encouraging individuals and organizations alike to make at least one eco-friendly choice this Earth Day. While cleaning up trash on the side of the freeway sounded fun, we opted to compile a list of our seven favorite green beauty products that not only work great but use sustainable resources that are kind to our mother earth. If performing your green act slipped your mind this year don’t fret, instead let’s toast to the natural beauty that surrounds us and make our green act a luxurious one that lasts more than one day with these great products.
1. Tarte TEN Natural Cheek Stain. This isn’t your ordinary blush. Tarte’s best-selling cheek stain contains “skinvigorating” ingredients including acai and goji berry extracts as well as pomegranate, maracuja and more. All included to protect skin from free radicals, prevent redness, nourish skin and promote cell rejuvenation all while leaving you with a gorgeous rosy cheek all day long. $30 at sephora.com.
2. Urban Decay Sustainable Shadow Box. Ten gorgeous shadows come in this adorably designed case made from a variety of sustainable materials and lacquered in bamboo, an abundant sustainable material that can simply be thrown in the recycling bin when they’re empty. $36 available at urbandecay.com.
3. John Masters Organics Bare Unscented Body Wash. This completely organic formula is infused with milk thistle, an antioxidant, and sunflower oil, which protects skin and holds in moisture. Arnica hydrates and stimulates blood circulation, while white tea cleans and natural vanilla soothes and revives tired skin all coming together seamlessly to create this ultra luxurious body wash. $16.50 at johnmasters.com.
4. Josie Maran Organic Argan Oil. This miracle oil is a beauty essential that Moroccans swear by. Packed with vitamin E and fatty acids, Argan oil revitalizes skin adding nourishment, tone and decreases acne. Its gentle and safe formula complements all skin types and if it couldn’t get any better, the product is sold in recycled glass bottles purchased from women’s cooperatives in Morocco benefiting their social and economic welfare. These women’s groups work to protect and preserve the precious Argan trees. $14 for 0.5 oz. at sephora.com.
5. REN Active 7 Eye Maintenance Gel. This natural eye pick me up revives eyes anytime. Working great under or over make-up simply pat a small amount around eyes and feel them go from tired to bright. The natural ingredients reduce puffiness, eliminates dark circles and firm skin, all while leaving a cooling effect that will freshen you up quicker than you can say eco-friendly! $45 at sephora.com.
6. Cargo PlanetLove Lipsticks. Unfortunately the majority of lipsticks we’ve worn all of our lives haven’t been so great for the earth, but that ends now with Cargo’s new line of eco-friendly lipsticks. The tube is actually made from corn while the lipstick itself contains a botanical base instead of the usual petroleum and mineral oils. Celebs including Courtney Cox collaborated with Cargo to create this lipstick revolution, and the best part is that with every PlanetLove product purchased, $2 goes directly to benefit St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital. $20 at cargocosmetics.com.
7. Yes To Carrots Intense Repair Hand Cream. Yes To is a fabulous cosmetic company that works with sustainable organic produce farmers to get the best of what mother nature has to offer. With these natural but common goodies like carrots, cucumbers and tomatoes, the Yes To folks created a line that not only works wonders for your skin but also promotes organic farming. Their intense hand cream combines ingredients like carrots and soybeans to nourish and repair chafed and dry hands and cuticles. Best of all, the price can’t be beat! $8.99 at yestocarrots.com.