Fall is heading our way and while we love transitioning from sweet sundresses to beautiful scarves and comfy boots, that takes a back seat to transitioning what’s in our beauty bags. (We are Spa Girls after all!) The folks at Sephora gave us the scoop on how to create the season’s most coveted looks: crimson red lips, deep purple shadows and dramatic black eyeliner.
Ignite the Moment with Crimson Red Velvet
Explore updated takes on the classic red lip, from a sheer wash of color to a deep painted satin.
Crimson Velvets: Lacquered Lip How-To:
- Start by swiping a liquid lipstick, like the MAKE UP FOR EVER Aqua Rouge in #9 ($24), onto your lower lip with the flat edge of the wand, starting in the center and working your way to the outer edges.
- Then, push your lips together with light pressure to spread the color onto the top lip within the lip line.
- Next, use the round side of the wand to trace around your cupid’s bow, giving it shape.
- To ensure your lip look has an all-around symmetry, tilt your head back to examine the shape and correct the edges where necessary. Finally, set with the clear gloss.
Seize the Mood with Nouvea Purples
Discover new ways to play up your eyes and go beyond neutral with rich sweeps of unexpected color.
Nouveau Purples: Soft Eye How-To:
- Using a color-coordinating palette, like the SEPHORA + PANTONE UNIVERSE Alchemy of Color Palette ($34), brush a light purple shadow over lids to create a base.
- Then blend a deeper shade of purple into crease and up toward the brow bones, sweeping from the outer to the inner corners.
- To enhance eye, wiggle a black liner between top lashes and then smudge a dark purple shadow along upper lash line for added definition. Now sweep a bronze shade along crease to help balance the look.
Embrace the Dark with the Blackest Blacks
Transform black lines with sharp flicks, strong strokes, and smoky smudges.
Blackest Blacks: Flicked Liner How-To:
- Start by wiggling a black pencil liner like the Sephora Collection Retractable Waterproof Eyeliner ($12), between upper lashes
- Now that you have an outline, glide on a thin base of black liquid liner, like the Buxom Pen & Ink Long-Last Eyeliner ($20), from the center of lash lines to the outer corners.
- Connect the lines from the inner corners to the center using the very tip of the liquid liner for a clean stroke. Then draw the wing by laying the liner tip flush against the outer corners and dragging inward toward the lash lines.
- Finish this subtle look with two coats of mascara, like the Sephora Collection Outrageous Mascara ($15).
Products available at Sephora stores and sephora.com.