Sniffing out that perfect scent is no easy undertaking – especially when it's a gift for a super persnickety mom. The trick is to try and identify which scent best fits her personality and lifestyle (and including a return receipt with the pretty package just in case!). From sweet to spicy, here's the pick of the crop of fresh new fragrances grouped my mom type.
For the urban mom obsessed with spinning and chai tea lattes:
Yoga Mom by Salud Scent Studio (2 oz. Eau de Parfum Spray, $38). How about having a custom scent created just for her? Yoga Mom – a peace-inducing blend of green tea, ylang ylang and ginger – is one of the signature custom blends available from Salud Scent Studio or you can mix up your own from the Scent Menu. Give your custom scent a name and the Salud sniff masters will mix it up and seal it with a handwritten tag. Mix up your own at at www.saludspabar.com.
Carol's Daughter Pearls (2.5 oz. Eau de Toilette Spray, $45). Gorgeous packaging aside, this pure and irresistible fragrance will make just about any woman coo. Pops of sparkling lemon verbena, apricot, peach, a mix of florals, vanilla and caramel create a warm, fruity blend that's fun, feminine and natural. Get it at select Sephora stores and www.carolsdaughter.com.
For the trendy mom who constantly raids your closet:
Baby Phat Dare Me by Kimora Lee Simmons (1 oz. Eau de Toilette, $28). Feisty and fabulous like its creator, this “floriental” fragrance is the perfect pick for the mom unfettered by over-the-top style. Coconut, blackberry creme and vanilla orchid keep the scent young while creme de musk and sandalwood add an air of sophistication. Get it at select stores nationwide including Walgreens, Target and Kohl’s. More at www.babyphatfragrances.com.
Kim Kardashian (1.7 oz. Eau de Parfum Spray, $50). If she loves reality TV and her Us Weekly, Kim Kardashian's new fragrance might hit the spot with its layered hints of mystique and glamour. Voluptuous florals hit a high note with intriguing notes of jasmine, tuberose and gardenia, while an underlying warmth comes from Tonka bean, jacaranda wood and sandalwood. Available exclusively at Sephora stores and www.sephora.com.
For the career-savvy mom who can't live without her iPhone:
Orange Sapphire from Bath & Body Works (2.5 oz. Eau de Toilette, $29.50). A blend of citrus top notes underlined by exotic florals, this energetic fragrance is for the dynamic moms on the go. Aromas of blood orange dance with notes of white jasmine, golden honey and citrus sangria. Find it at Bath & Body Works stores and www.bathandbodyworks.com.
STELLANUDE by Stella McCartney (1.6 oz. Eau de Toilette Spray, $65). Light and airy, this delicate scent keeps it feminine without the frills. The vintage-inspired bottle is beautifully chic and the fragrance unleashes a bouquet of Moroccan rose, grapefruit, white peony, pink pepper, Ugandan vanilla, amber and musk. Available at Sephora stores and www.sephora.com. More at www.stellamccartney-parfums.com.
Lisa Hoffman Variations Madagascar Orchid Fragrance Kit (Set of 4 Fragrance Oils in case, $95). An intoxicating blend of richly scented florals, this handsome leather case of four pulse point oils are uniquely blended to charge her senses throughout the day. Voted Top Five Fragrance of the Year, the Madagascar Orchid blend features notes of white flower, jasmine, ylang dew, mimosa mood, and pink peony put a hip new twist (and last a whole lot longer) than a bouquet of flowers. Available at www.lisahoffmanskincare.com.
For the eco-savvy mom who adores her composter:
Pacifica Tahitian Gardenia Perfume (1 oz. Spray Perfume, $22). A lush bouquet of tropics is unleashed in a natural, pure grain alcohol and Pacifica's signature perfume blends with essential and natural oils. In heady and lusciously rich Tahitian Gardenia, this exotic scent is easy to wear and even better to layer. Get it at select Sephora stores and www.sephora.com.
Philosophy Field of Flowers (2 oz. Spray Fragrance, $30). Capturing the essence of rolling fields covered in flowers, this happy new scent from philosophy dances with notes of peony for a delicate, uplifting experience. Available exclusively at Nordstrom stores and www.nordstrom.com.
Lavanila Healthy Fragrance in Vanilla Passion Fruit (1.7 oz. Spray Fragrance, $58). Don't tell mom, but this light, subtle, all-natural fragrance is laced with natural aphrodisiacs that will get her in the mood for … well, you know. Pure essential oils from passion fruit, guava and peach nectar flirt with sandalwood and Madagascar vanilla for a seductive scent. Get it at select Sephora stores and www.lavanila.com.
Scent Sense Tips:
- Need help identifying what type of scent profile your mom might be? Use Sephora.com's Fragrance Finder to see if she might prefer Fresh, Floral, Oriental or Woody.
- What's the difference in eau de toilette, eau de parfum and perfume (or in French, parfum)? The concentration of the fragrant essential oils and aromatic compounds. Perfume is the most concentrated, eau de toilette, the least.
- So what's cologne? Cologne is a city in Germany where the first modern perfume was produced. The term now is generally used to describe a man's fragrance and is slightly lighter in concentration than an eau de toilette.
- Why apply fragrance to your pulse points? These are the areas on the body where the blood vessels are closest to the skin and are believed to give off heat, acting like mini scent diffusers. Pulse points include the folds in the crook of your elbow, back of knees, behind the ears, wrists, ankles, neck and cleavage.
- How much is too much? Scent experts define your scent circle as an arm's length from the body and your fragrance shouldn't be so overwhelming that it travels past that circle. Your fragrance should be subtle and a personal message to those closest to you.