I’m having my first head-to-toe skin screening today. After writing The Truth about Tan Lines for a local magazine, I got all freaked out and made an appointment with a dermatologist about a month ago. So the day has arrived and now I’m really freaking out. I figure it’s got to be better than going to the dentist, right? Having spent the better part of my childhood in Florida and adulthood in Arizona, my dermis has seen its share of sun. And yes, as a 20-something I did duck into a few tanning beds (oh the horror). Now that I’m a grownup I know better. Sigh. So we’ll see how today’s appointment rolls and I hope you’ll consider getting your skin checked out as well.
Meantime, here are a few beauty faves that carry the Skin Cancer Foundation’s Seal of Recommendation to keep you pretty and protected.
- For a touch of sun: Physicians Formula Healthy Wear SPF 50 Pressed Bronzer (pictured), $14.95 at drugstore.com and select drug and beauty stores.
- For lips that glisten (and don’t burn) in the sun: DDF Glossy Lip Therapy SPF 15, $19 at dermstore.com and select beauty boutiques. This is one of my personal favorites — a must have!
- For a daily dose of hydration: PCA Skin pHaze 6+ Hydrator Plus SPF 25, $30 at dermstore.com and select clinical practices.
- For shine-free nose: Jane Iredale Powder Me SPF Tanned SPF 30 or Powder Me SPF Translucent SPF 30, $44 at janeiredale.com and select spas and salons.
- For all-over protection: Clinique Sun SPF 30 Body Cream, $20 at clinique.com and select department stores.
- For a sun-kissed glow: Jergens Natural Glow Face Daily Moisturizer SPF 20, $8-$9 at most drug and mass market stores.
- For protection on the go: Bare Escentuals bareMinerals SPF 30 Natural Sunscreen, $28 at bareescentuals.com and select beauty boutiques.