Let the battle of the beauty boxes begin! Nothing like a little friendly competition to bring out the best in the growing world of product sampling programs. We are already suckers for the NewBeauty TestTube but have been on the prowl for a beauty box subscription service that captures a little more spa. We’ve found it in Yuzen.
Think of Yuzen as your monthly delivery of zen. Launched in July, Yuzen is a beauty box with a leaning toward eco-friendly, organic and natural products that bring all your senses to the party.
And it all starts with the packaging. Open the recycled cardboard box adorned with delicate sea-foam blue flowers and tied with a pretty bow, and your first sense of delight is all visual. The box contents are wrapped in carefully folded colored tissue paper and held in place by a beautiful strip of floral Japanese origami-style paper (also called “yuzen,” hence the name). A color-coordinated note from the owners with a description of the contents along with a few words of inspiration welcomes you.
“Our goal with the box is for people to open it and their shoulders to drop two inches,” says co-founder Ted.
Check that. So much care and thought has gone into the presentation that you almost forget the best part is yet to come — the contents.
My August sample box contained six items, some of which I already love and a few completely new to me. Here’s the loot list:
- Full-size tube of Coola Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30. (Fan!)
- Full-size bottle of Cowgirl Desert Recovery Cleanser. (Hello heavenly scented cleanser for dry, aging, sensitive skin!)
- Giant bar of Meyer’s Clean Day Lemon Verbena Scent Aromatherapeutic Hand and Body Care. (Just in time, I’m out of bath soap. Get in my shower!)
- TilVee Calendula & Comfrey Healing Balm. (You can use this multi-use balm on lips as well as wounds, rashes or dry patches. A little bummed that the balm was melted into the cap but alas, it was August in Phoenix.)
- A sachet of four Organic India teas including one for specifically for inducing sleep. (Need that!)
- Snack bag of Olomomo Nut Co Chai Bliss Almonds. (One word: Yum. Okay, two words: All gone.)
Hidden under all that were discount cards for some of the products.
In the battle of the beauty boxes, Yuzen scores high on presentation and thoughtfulness. The packaging is 100% recyclable and the box contains high-end, complimentary products that speak to a greater sense of harmony and balance. The clean and cinch-to-navigate website echos the zen experience and also makes it easy to research and purchase products included in each box. Top that off with the inspiring, forward-thinking vision and mission-driven couple behind the brand, and we’re totally sold.
Each Yuzen box is valued at $60 or more. Membership is $26 per month or you can purchase the box as a gift at various price points.
Get the full scoop on the Yuzen box at yuzenbox.com.
Are you a member of a beauty box sampling program? Which one? Do you love it? We’d love to know your thoughts!